How To Select a Sailboat for Charter?
When looking for a charter sailboat you will need to look at the following: the number of cabins, the minimum size of the yacht required in some destinations, the luxury to performance ratio, your sailing skills (and your crew sailing skills), the size of your budget, the age of the yacht, and, last but not least, the brand of the yacht.
To select the perfect sailing yacht for charter you will need to look at the following criteria:
- The number of cabins or berths as well as the number of heads and showers. This, of course, depends on the number of people in your crew.
- Some sailing destinations have a set minimum yacht size due to winds and waves so take note of that.
- The longer yacht the larger maximum speed - a 50-foot yacht has 30% more speed than a 30 footer. Bigger sailboats have bigger sails.
- The sailing skills of you and your crew - a larger yacht is much more difficult to maneuver in marinas or anchorages than a smaller one. Sailing skills are also of vital importance during strong winds.
- The luxury to performance ratio - this is when you have to decide whether you prefer a sailing yacht with good sailing characteristics or a heavier luxury yacht. This depends whether you are more into sailing as a sport or you a leisure activity.
- Your budget - for example, a 50-foot yacht charter is just 1.4 times longer than a 35-foot yacht charter but can often be 2 times more expensive to charter. In this case, you must find the perfect combination of the size of the sailing yacht (which depends upon the number of people in your crew) and your budget.
- The yacht's age is also very important when choosing a sailing yacht for your charter holiday. You should be very careful when it comes to the yacht's age since the older the yacht is the greater becomes the possibility of it breaking down. However, when speaking of the age of a yacht, we should point out that you watch out if the yacht has been well maintained and that you charter through a reliable company.
- And last but not least the brand of the yacht can also be a determining factor. Try to opt for more popular brands like Beneteau, Bavaria or Hanse. The popular yacht manufacturers did not become popular for no reason - sailors choose them because of their high-quality materials, newest equipment and excellent user reviews.